Morecambe 1 Forest Green Rovers 1

Former Morecambe boss Jim Harvey made a triumphant return to Christie Park as his side secured a well earned point against the Conference's in-form side.

After being sacked by the Shrimps in the summer after 12 years at the club, Harvey's dogged Forest Green side made life difficult for his former charges who have climbed rapidly up the table in recent weeks after four wins from five games.

Morecambe certainly started the brighter with Adriano Rigoglioso testing Steve Williams with an effort on goal after just 20 seconds before Gary Thompson blasted wide of the right-hand post from the edge of the box.

Their early pressure was rewarded with a goal on 13 minutes.

The Forest Green defence failed to clear and as Chris Giles slipped, Thompson nipped in to win the loose ball and fire past Williams from an acute angle.

Five minutes later Morecambe should have made it 2-0. A Michael Twiss corner from the left found Jim Bentley unmarked eight yards out but he missed the target and sent his header over the bar when he really should have scored.

But from there on Forest Green began to take a hold of the game.

Winger Matt Robinson was the first to threaten with a shot that went just wide of the left-hand post after a storming run took him to the edge of the Morecambe box before the influential Simon Clist drilled a similar effort high and wide.

The visitors were soon back in the game however with a goal just before the half hour.

Former Morecambe defender John Hardiker delivered a long throw in from the right, Darren Jones flicked on at the near post and Robinson reacted sharply in the box to volley past Steven Drench from 12 yards out.

The goal gave Forest Green a clear lift and they ended the half the stronger.

Clist forced Drench into a neat save after another good run from midfield and both Allan Russell and Alex Lawless curled efforts just wide of the upright from distance.

The second half produced few chances as the defences dictated.

The Shrimps came closest to adding to the scoreline four minutes into the second half when Bentley again came close.

A left-wing corner was headed goalwards by Chris Blackburn but Bentley's efforts to bundle the ball home from close range were thwarted as the ball rebounded off his knee and over the bar.

Both sides then had to be content with long-range efforts. Craig Stanley saw two shots drift wide of the target in the closing stages and Clist forced Drench into two further saves low down after storming runs down the centre.

Les Afful dragged a left-foot shot wide of the left-hand post and Rigoglioso tested Williams with a well struck effort which the keeper did well to cling on to.

In the end though neither side looked like breaking the deadlock and a draw was perhaps the fairest result.