Forest Green Rovers 2 Woking 3

Last updated : 01 September 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Woking carried on from where they left off on Monday with another attacking display which brought them a deserved three points against Forest Green Rovers.

Two goals by Craig McAllister after Jon Nurse has scored - McAllister scoring the winner with seven minutes remaining - were just reward for the visitors' scintillating attacking play while the hosts contributed to a cracker.

In a match played in cup-tie spirit, Woking went two goals to the good before Rovers bounced back to 2-2 just as they had on Monday against Stevenage.

Their cruel luck continued though as McAllister's late strike brought defeat for caretaker boss Paul Wanless, who has ended up with a point from the past two matches when four would have been just from their point of view.

If it hadn't been for Woking keeper Shwan Jalal, Rovers would have taken a seventh minute lead and the match might have turned out to be different.

Forest Green midfielder Darren Jones, who had a storming match in driving his men forward, whipped in a cross from the right, the ball eluding defender Tom Hutchinson.

Allan Russell's instant control and shot from point-blank range would have found the net nine times out of ten but the goalkeeper produced the kind of save that has earned him his international recognition.

That moment proved crucial as rather than give Rovers the impetus, Woking kept attacking, with Nurse and Goma Lambu a real threat down the right-hand side.

Woking thought they should have had a penalty when referee Simon Hooper waved away appeals after McAllister appeared to be felled by keeper Steve Williams as he burst through. He thought McAllister dived but didn't book the Woking player.

Nurse and McAllister's link-up play was telepathic and when Nurse's volleyed centre from the left found McAllister unmarked he should have done better than head over the bar from eight yards.

Woking were looking likely to score and the goal soon arrived. Nurse will feel he should have scored when one-on-one with Williams but the keeper forced him wide and the ball was cleared for a corner.

But he made amends moments later when Steve Evans sent over one of many superb corners from the right. Rovers failed to clear it and the ball dropped invitingly for Nurse who drove home through a tangle of legs from six yards.

Williams tipped a Lambu chip over the bar from the edge of the box and then Woking scored again from another Evans corner. The pinpoint cross was an inviting one and McAllister rose unmarked at the far post to thump his header into the net.

Wanless was unhappy with both goals defensively but a bizarre own goal from Gary MacDonald, when Danny Bunce smashed a goal-line clearance at his colleague's legs after good work by Guy Ipoua, gave Rovers hope.

That hope was raised further when Alex Meechan hit a wonderful shot from 20 yards which flew in past Jalal's left hand. But Woking, in an end-to end finish, grabbed the winner.

Nurse chased a hopeful ball and Williams came charging out of his box and clattered into the striker. McAllister seized on the opportunity, clipping a half-volley winner over the last defender and into an empty net from 30 yards.

It was a fitting reward for Woking's new-found attacking style and sparked chants of there's only one Glenn Cockerill from visiting fans at the final whistle.