Forest Green Rovers 2 Hereford United 2

Last updated : 26 December 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Super-sub Guy Madjo was Forest Green's hero just as it looked as if the Conference strugglers had blown the chance to take any points at home to Hereford United.

Green led 1-0 courtesy of Alex Meechan's 34th minute opener, but two goals in 21 minutes saw Hereford come back from behind.

Tamika Mkandawire was the first on target, heading past Rovers goalkeeper Ryan Clarke in the 58th minute to level matters, before Alex Jeannin netted with 11 minutes to go.

Hereford looked destined to take all three points, but Madjo ripped up the script to equalise with ten minutes remaining.

The on-loan Bristol City hitman has just returned from a three-match ban, but marked his comeback in style.

The first half was an exciting affair with Green rarely afraid to test opponents some 13 places above them in the league standings.

As early as the fourth minute Bruno Teixeira headed wide as Green went in search of an early opener to unsettle the visitors.

That near miss only served to spark Hereford into life, though. Craig Stanley had a shot blocked in the seventh minute and three minutes later Adam Stansfield also had an effort charged down.

Goalscorer Jeannin saw a shot saved by Clarke, before Rob Purdie fired over as Hereford continued to waste chances.

Paul Wanless had a good chance for Green in the 19th minute, but saw his powerful drive well-saved by Hereford goalkeeper Craig Mawson. But Green broke the deadlock in the 34th minute when Meechan's shot beat Mawson.

The re-start saw Julian Alsop go agonisingly close to doubling the home side's advantage. He headed wide from close-range, while at the other end Mkandawire made Green pay. He found the back of the net to level with a cool finish in the 58th minute.

Guy Ipoua had a shot saved by Clarke as Hereford sensed their opponents crumbling under pressure and Purdie fired over in the 69th minute. Ipoua had another good chances in the 76th minute, but his shot flew wide.

But moments later Hereford were in front for the first time in the match. Jeannin, unlucky not to have scored up to that point, hit the target and the visitors were on course for a successful salvage operation.

Madjo had other ideas. Under pressure he beat Mawson and Rovers were grateful of a share of the points as they continue to battle to avoid the drop.