Forest Green Rovers 1 Tamworth 1

Last updated : 02 April 2005 By Footymad Previewer
A point gained or two points dropped? Which ever way you look at it Forest Green are back in the relegation zone with other results going against them and they only have themselves to blame.

It should have been so different, just one minute and 45 seconds into the match while people were still finding their seats, Mark Cooper's dreadful two-footed challenge on Charlie Griffin resulted in referee Andy Turner showing the Tamworth player-manager the red card in what surely was the quickest dismissal of the day.

Rovers though failed to make any good use of having the extra man, staying far too deep in their own half to cause The Lambs' back four any problems.

Instead it was the visitors who showed the initiative with Clint Marcelle's run down the right wing and cross just behind danger man Bob Taylor after 19 minutes.

Ten minutes later, Tamworth deservedly took the lead when Tristram Whitman's ball into the penalty area was well controlled by Taylor and, with his supposed marker Adam Garner nowhere in sight, he turned and fired the ball past Dean Williams into the right-hand corner.

Forest Green did have a couple of half chances before the half was up, Griffin firing a loose ball way over the crossbar and Des Lyttle's speculative overhead kick deflecting wide.

Two minutes into the second half Rovers had the chance of the game. Mo Harkin's short pass was flicked on by Lewis Haldane and Hugh McAuley side-footed the ball wide from close range.

In the 51st minute Tamworth keeper Ryan Price was finally called into action. Damon Searle's deep cross found Griffin towards the back post but his header was tipped over by Price.

Griffin again had another header after 74 minutes this time from McAuley, but with both corners of the net crying out for the ball, Griffin directed it straight into the arms of Price.

Injury time came and Rovers were awarded a potentially huge lifeline. Robert Gill looked to be brought down in the penalty area by Aaron Brown and the referee pointed to the spot. Griffin stepped forward only to see his initial shot saved but he was on hand to pop in the rebound to give Rovers a fortunate point.