Farnborough Town 1 Forest Green Rovers 1

Last updated : 11 December 2004 By Footymad Previewer
Farnborough Town boss Dean Austin was left to reflect on two points dropped as a series of missed chances prevented his side continuing their recent resurgence with a win.

Austin saw his side dominate proceedings after a nervous opening 15 minutes but fail to kill off their fellow strugglers in what was otherwise a poor game.

The visitors started the brighter and took the game to Boro early on, eventually breaking the deadlock on 13 minutes through top scorer Charlie Griffin.

On-loan Ryan Williams, making his debut having arrived from Bristol Rovers, made a burst down the left flank and sent over a superb cross to the far post where Griffin was waiting unmarked to head home.

But Forest Green's control of the game wasn't to last long as Boro soon found their feet.

Indeed, on 27 minutes, Stephen Hughes levelled the scores with a scorcher.

On receiving a ball in-field from Michael Kightly, Hughes saw his first shot blocked by Scott Rogers and after holding off the same defender from the rebound, smashed a shot past keeper Steve Perrin into the far bottom corner.

Tony Taggart came within inches of putting Farnborough in front just a minute later, only to see his shot whistle past the post.

Boro started the second half in much the same vein, but despite forcing a number of corners and desperate clearances, just couldn't break down the visitors' rearguard.

Hughes came closest with a far post header from Taggart's cross which just shaved the outside of the far post, while the lively Paul Harkness nodded Hughes' cross from the left just wide of the target.

But in an otherwise clean affair, referee Andy Sainsbury was called into action with nine minutes left when Rovers substitute Richie Appleby clashed with Jay Smith in the centre of the park.

Smith conceded a free-kick in the centre circle and Appleby, who had only been on the field a matter of 30 seconds, turned round and appeared to punch his marker in retaliation.

Mr Sainsbury had no option but to brandish a straight red card but despite their numerical disadvantage, Rovers managed to hold on for the point.