Burton Albion 4 Forest Green Rovers 1

Last updated : 19 February 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Burton ended their Forest Green hoodoo in style with their first Conference win over the Gloucestershire side in six attempts.

The win extended the Brewers' impressive run this year to just one defeat in ten games as Forest Green were dragged deeper into the relegation mire.

Rovers boss Alan Lewer was left to bemoan the worst performance since he took charge at The Lawn after a first-half rally fizzled out.

Burton made a flying start with skipper Darren Stride having a goal disallowed before Craig Dudley grabbed the first of his goals in the sixth minute.

The midfielder met Aaron Webster's cross with a diving header and quickly recovered to stab home a left-foot shot after his initial effort was spilled by goalkeeper Dean Williams.

Rovers fought back to level with a well-worked goal in the 15th minute. Hugh McAuley and Kevin Rapley were involved in a neat build up that made the opening for Mark Beesley to curl home a superb 20-yard shot.

The visitors looked much less assured defensively, however, and tamely surrendered two goals in the final ten minutes of the first half.

Williams was embarrassed for a second time when he allowed Dale Anderson to squeeze the ball past him from an unlikely angle, the linesman ruling the ball had crossed the line before Des Lyttle's desperate clearance.

On the stroke of half-time, Dudley notched his second goal as he timed his run onto a centre from Andy Ducros to fire home at the far post.

Burton piled on more pressure after the interval and Ducros disappointingly dragged his 15-yard shot wide before defender Barry Miller was denied by Lyttle's goal-line clearance in the 59th minute.

Then Sam Shilton somehow managed to shoot wide from close range after bursting onto a Dudley cross.

But the goal Burton needed to equal their best-ever Conference win came in the 79th minute when top scorer Jon Shaw ran unchallenged onto a Ducros free-kick to head his ninth goal in 15 games since joining from Sheffield Wednesday.